2009年6月18日木曜日

勘違いすると大変ですね。

fall over/つまずいて転ぶ

I read "E.T." today.
There was a strange sentence in this book.
It was "Elliot shouted---and fell over". This sentence appeared in the scene that Elliot met E.T. for the first time.
I refered to my dictionary and I could understand that "shouted" means "大声で叫んだ".
But I couldn't understand "fell over" becouse there wasn't it in my dictionary. So I guessed the meaning at the context. I thought he was very surprised and he must faint away. So I thought "fell over" means "気絶する". But he said to E.T. "Don't go!" in the next scene. I felt strange...
I refered to my dictionary again. Then I noticed my misunderstanding!
I misunderstood "fell" is the past of "fill". But in fact "fell" is "fall"...So I couldn't find a meaning in my dictionary. "fell over" means "つまずいて転んだ".
Now I learned new word today.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Hi! We talked about this in class, I think. I'm glad you wrote about something that you didn't understand. This is a good habit.

    返信削除